From FEMA Answers
Disaster Unemployment Assistance Benefit Period Extended to June. The Alabama Emergency Management Agency and U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have announced that benefits in the form of Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) will be available through June 3, 2006. This 13-week extension is available to those who have already filed for disaster unemployment assistance with the state.
Michigan, September 20, 2005: USDA Rural Development has federally subsidized housing available for victims of Hurricane Katrina.
Rural Development currently has 1,600 vacant apartment units throughout rural Michigan that are available with rental assistance for up to six months to victims of Hurricane Katrina. We also have 10 single-family homes available with rental assistance for three months to hurricane victims with larger families.
We are seeking partnerships with local community and faith-based organizations to provide social services to those displaced by the hurricane.
We have already placed several families throughout Michigan and are seeking your help to identify and assist others affected by this disaster. Together we can make a difference.
Please contact Jason Church at (800) 944-8119 or (517) 324-5217 Office, or (517) 930-9766 Cell. If Jason is not available, please leave a message or email at: email@example.com, and you will be contacted shortly.
Media inquiries: Please contact Bruce Huffman at (517) 324-5204.
Guidelines For RD Employees & Management Companies
- USDA Rural Development is making rental assistance (RA) available for up to six months to Hurricane Katrina victims. (The National Office will reevaluate the situation after three months and additional Rental Assistance may be provided at that time)
- Rental assistance is available to victims for up to six months; income verification is self-certified at this time.
- Management companies are encouraged to waive the security deposit.
- The application process has been streamlined to place hurricane victims in subsidized housing immediately.
- Month –to– month leases are to be utilized
- Credit report requirements are waived
If the project has a waiting list, dislocated persons will receive highest priority through the use of a Letter of Priority Entitlement (LOPE)